The laboratory actively partners with industry in preclinical
efficacy/safety evaluations of drugs and devices,
including Good Laboratory Practice studies used in FDA submissions.
Investigation and assessment studies utilize well-defined
models and tools of analysis including:
- Assays of Analgesic Pharmacology and Activity
- Kinetic and safety studies of chronic/acute intracranial and intraspinal test material.
Delivery in the dog, rat and mouse using bolus injection and/or continuous infusion
- Effect of test material on induced neuropathy studies in the rat and mouse using the Bennett (thermal hyperalgesia),
Chung (tactile allodynia) and, intrathecal substance-P/NMDA (thermal hyperalgesia) models of nerve injury.
- Measures of analgesic activity, include:
- Rat and mouse thermal escape (Hargreaves)
- Rat and mouse tactile threshold (Von Frey hairs)
- Rat deep pressure sensitivity (Ugo Basale)
- Rat and mouse tactile allodynia and thermal hyperalgesia (carrageenan knee joint
and paw, thermal injury inflammation, or intravenous vincristine induced)
- Rat and mouse tactile allodynia and thermal hyperalgesia (intraplantar formalin
induced paw flinch analysis)
- Mouse osteosarcoma
- Dog and rat motor function
- Dog thermal thermal escape and skin twitch
- Assays of cerebral, spinal and nerve ischemia
- Cerebral blood flow and glucose utilization
- Indices of ischemic damage in brain and spinal cord
- Indices of spinal cord blood flow and post ischemic outcome
- Cerebral and spinal drug toxicology and ischemia pathology
- Assays of CNS transmitter activity and brain drug levels
- In vitro transmitter release measured in slices/minces/non-neural tissue and in vivo measurement by
- Single unit recording (sural nerve in rat)
Listing of Industry Associations
- Abbott Laboratories
- Adolor Therapeutics, Inc.
- Advanced Polymer Pharmaceuticals
- Advanced Targeting Systems, Inc.
- Algos Pharmaceutical Company
- Allergan, Inc.
- Alliance Pharmaceutical Corp.
- Amgen, Inc.
- Amrad Operations Pty Ltd.
- Athena Neurosciences
- Biogen Idec
- Cambridge NeuroSciences
- Cognetix, Inc.
- Creative Biomolecules, Inc.
- Endo Pharmaceutical Co.
- Ferring Research Institute Inc.
- Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co.
- GenDerm Co.
- Harris FRC Inc.
- Infusaid Corp.
- Inotek Pharmaceuticals Corp.
- Institute de Recherche Pierre Fabre, S.A.S.
- Isis Pharmaceuticals
- Janssen Research Foundation
- Knoll Pharmaceuticals
- Medtronic Inc.
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Neurex Corp.
- Neurogenetics Inc.
- Neurology CEDD
- Neuromed Technologies, Inc.
- NPS Pharmaceuticals
- Organon Laboratories
- Orion Corp.
- Parke-Davis Research Laboratories
- Procter & Gamble
- Pudenz Schulte Medical Corp.
- RW Johnson
- Schering Plough Research Institute
- Scion Pharmaceuticals
- Scios, Inc.
- Shearwater Polymers, Inc.
- SkyePharma, Inc.
- Synaptic Pharmaceutical
- UCB Pharmaceuticals
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- VistaGen Therapeutics, Inc.
- Winston Laboratories, Inc.
- Xenome Ltd.
- Xenoport, Inc.